Saturday, November 5, 2011
Equity Theory
The equity theory , based upon the equity ratio is derived around the idea that inputs should be equal to outputs. When we have the notion that outputs are unequal to inputs, we want for them to become equal. I have personally seen this theory in action. I have been with my company for 3 summers now. I was hired as summer help, but have had the privilege of being invited back the following two summers, and also over winter breaks. When I first started another girl , my same age, started that summer as well. She and I did the exact same work and had the exact same start date. The only difference between us was that she was a Senator's daughter. Halfway through the summer I found out she was making a dollar more than I was. Even though our job descriptions and hours were identical. I was furious, but there was nothing I could do about it. Instead I blew it off and did not change my work efficiency. She did not return after that first summer. I returned, along with a girl I had befriended the first summer. This was her 3rd summer, and my 2nd. I found out that summer that she had received a raise and was making more than I did. This did not bother me because she was there longer than I was. After that summer she was not invited back, but I was. Because of this I was sure I was going to get the raise at this time. However when I returned for my third summer this past year, I was surprised to find my rate was exactly the same. This made me extremely angry, but there was not very much I could do about it. I also felt that my work performance had been way superior to hers ever was. Because of this, my work efficiency definitely dropped this summer as compared to others.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
That is extremely frustrating. I've never had an experience like this (well, not that I know of at least) but I feel like I would react the same as you did. My work efficiency would have dropped as well because there is really less motivation to do your job well when salary obviously isn't based on performance.
ReplyDeleteIt seems to me like because you were the less expensive help that they were more willing to keep you around because of that and that you haven't complained about it. Either way its a lose lose because if you complain they'll probably find someone else and if you don't you'll be unhappy. I think that once you realized that it was out of the picture for you to get a raise you deserved you used the equity theory as a sort of payback by saying, "you won't give me the money I deserve, I won't give you the work you deserve"
ReplyDelete