Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Motivation

In class yesterday, we spoke about motivation, and how motivation can be broken down into different categories and sub categories. We also spoke about the idea behind companies who supply their employees with a work space equip with extra curriculars. Companies do this in order to diminish any other motivators employs might find that will distract them from their work. This is based on the idea that what I want you to do, and what you want to do are essentially the same thing, I just need to eliminate the distractions. We watched a video about Google, and the things the company offers employs at work.
This morning I was watching T.V and came across a commercial for a Honda plant. The commercial started out by the spokes person saying "mmmm what's the smell", in reference to the eatery. This plant boasted a cafe, that apparently had wonderful fragrances, a putting green, a walking path, and even a delivery service for errands.
All of these things are meant to draw employs in, and then give them no reason to leave. It was very interesting to me that I saw this commercial today after we had just spoken about the motives behind these things in class, I definitely looked at it in a new light. Before this discussion I would have thought how bizarre it is that a company would have all of these things to distract employees, when really it is mitigating other distracting motivators, to help employees find more motivation to do their work.

No comments:

Post a Comment