I usually think that what i'm learning in my classes is somewhat unrelated to the real world. However this week has shown me differently about the skills we've learned in this O.B class. I have used the negotiation skills, that I learned from the article required for class a few weeks back, in two of my other classes application projects.
In my labor relations class we were put into groups, both union and management and told to negotiate a new contract. Thanks to the skills I learned about negotation I felt I could actually compete and I was able to have some leverage. We used starting, resisting, and target points to ensure that our demands were met. We also used a starting point that was well above what we actually wanted in hopes of anchoring the management team.
In my accounting class today we were also asked to negotiatie. I used similar tactics as in the above exercise and my partner and I were succesful. We started at almost double our target point, and the other team was floored that we would ask for that. This made them reconsider their numbers and gave us the upper hand. Ultimately we decided not to make a deal because neither side could come to an agreement but because of what I learned in O.B we held our own and knew what to look out for in opponents. We bluffed them, as well as calling their bluffs to ultimately save ourselves from losing money.
No comments:
Post a Comment