Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Stimulation

The stimulation debriefing in class raised a lot of questions and also brought about a lot of defensiveness. I tried to be a mediator in the entire situation and really was looking for everyone to get the most out of it. When we started to run out of time and everyone got flustered I admit I was a bad manager because I took a step back and just watched the rest unfold. I was trying to help both top management and my bottom group, but everyone else was looking out for their own interests above all else.
I thought it interesting that Dr.Goates proposed that students with higher G.P.A's are less likely to defy authority in this exercise. To me this makes complete sense. We discussed this in my accounting class. If you think about it, those with high G.P.A's have grown accustom to performing to a standard. This standard is set by the professor. For example if a professor comes into class the first day and says that attendance is 50% of your grade, any person with a high G.P.A, and wishing to maintain that, would not miss one class. Whereas if the professor came in and  said that attendance counted as 0% of the grade then students would be more inclined to miss class. A better example is that if a professor says that there will be tests questions directly from the reading and text book assigned most students will make a point to do the readings; in the same way if the professor assigns readings that are not directly related to tests or other assignments students will be less inclined to read.

1 comment:

  1. I would completely agree on your point about the GPAs. I never really understood how some people were able to give such little care to their school work. It has always been drilled in my head that I need to do well and get good grades. As far as I can remember I have strived to receive the best grades and I guess I was able to do that by always obeying authority. I would never really think to question what an authority figure has to say because because I would not wasn't it to interfere with my performance. It is crazy to understand how certain small aspects like that can really affect how a person performs.

    ReplyDelete