Thursday, October 27, 2011

Preppies and Culture

On Wednesday we discussed for a long time the article "If Preppies Took Over Wal-Mart". From this discussion I started to think about what Wal-e executives are aiming to do. I think they are really aiming to change their culture, by introducing new artifacts that will in turn change their culture's values and beliefs. Wal-Mart execs. want to change their "dowdy" appearance to one of high-class and luxury. I can understand why Wal-Mart would seek this change; personally I do think of Wal-mart as "dowdy". When I ask myself why this is all I can think is that this is the way it is presented itself to me. Wal-Mart has been so focused on slashing prices that appearance has gone to the way side. Is this starting to catch up with them? I guess the argument could go either way. We discussed how when Wal-Mart started it's target costumers were people from rural areas, who needed a discount mega store. If this was still the company's aim than I don't see why they would aim for the new look. However we also discussed that they believe they have exhausted their resources in these areas and need to focus on ritzier areas where this new look seems to be essential. Either way, I believe changing their uniforms, while it may create more of a high class feel, will cause other areas to suffer. If the smocks that say  "how may I help you" are gotten rid of the company's value that costumer service should be held of the highest importance may be knocked down a peg or two.

6 comments:

  1. I think that Walmart is trying to expand itself into different market areas than what it has been focuses on. Walmart has realized that they need to evolve with the times and that means making some changes such as better uniforms. While it seems to me that most customers will probably not notice the changes too much it is an important part of the appearance of Walmart, like you said. I think that the areas that they are now focusing on will appreciate the new uniforms and the old areas will hardly notice at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't understand how changing the smocks will change the companies feelings about customer service. If anything the new dress code says, "we are no more a 'crappy' mega store but a higher-quality store with quality products to better fit out customers." Dr. Goates example in class was perfect. Would you rather buy a large screen tv from some guy wearing a smock or a man properly dressed who looks like he knows what he's talking about?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The changing of the uniform is most likely one Wal-mart's many plans to improve their standing in the supercenterarket. They have also been updating the looks of their stores too and since the market has been flooded they need to change their game plan. They are no longer the monopoly of the sector and are trying to connect with a broader realm of consumers. With the uniforms they are just taking another step to use artifacts to change the perception of the company. Although because of their history I will always think of Wal-mart on the low end of the department stores no matter what they do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Changing the uniforms is probably a good idea because honestly I had no idea what the employees wore. I have been to Walmart before but I never looked at what an employee was actually wearing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely think that losing the smock and going for an edgier look might take away from how much they appear to care about customers. Sure, the employees might feel better and the new uniforms may fit into an area where people make more money, but losing the "How may I help you" might make it seem like they are less willing to help.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Personally, I think changing their uniforms will be very beneficial to their image. As you said, if they are aiming to gain a broader customer base, they need to raise the bar. Target is a big competitor for Wal-Mart especially for those customers who are looking for a more sophisticated shopping center. I would agree that if Wal-Mart was not looking to gain more customers, the smocks may not be that bad, however as Wal-Mart continues to grow, it might be in their best interest to integrate the new uniforms.

    ReplyDelete